Friday, November 12, 2010

My Son's Window

Looking through my son's window
The shield of glare
As the light
Radiates off the glass
Blocking the view
Of what God has placed
In front of him
"Look at mommy"
I yell at him
Not knowing that
He Can't
His frustration causes
Negative actions
I continue to
Ignore signs
Of the glare in his window
Until one day I notice
His squint
On a cloudy day
I take him in to get checked out
"Legally blind,
possibly 100% blind any day,
check up every 3 months,
we gotta keep a close eye on him"
I imagine what he sees and
I place myself in his shoes.
I can't believe
That this is what he sees,
Or doesn't.
Looking out my son's window
I become angry, frustrated
Irritated so I begin to
Eliminate
Myself from society.
The urge to stay home
Because outside of this front door
Everything moves too fast.
I don't want to play sports
Because my head begins to pound.
Don't ask me to play,
I really don't want to.
Looking through my son's window
I notice the curtains beginning to close
I pull the string to open the curtains wider
But every string I pull
It closes the curtains.
Looking through my son's window
I realize the strength that
My son possesses,
An everyday fight to pull that string
Hoping that this dark light
That's shielding him from clear site
Of the world
Brings light of sight
I can say that
Looking through my son's window
I realize how I don't posses the strength
That he has, which builds
My admiration
For such a strong young boy
That his mother is raising.

1 comment:

  1. what comment could I ever post to this? nothing could ever top to the intensity of what is going on here. the reaching for, the grasping at anything that could save something so precious, something we all take for granted...namaste' my friend.

    ReplyDelete